Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflecting on my report writing!

Being a statistics major, this is the first time I have to submit a business report. It is considered quite a challenge as I have little prior experience in writing reports. During my Junior college days, I had to write a report for Project Work, and although I did learn quite a bit about report writing then, the scope for it this time is quite different. For one, the time frame to finalize this report is very much shorter. And the biggest difference is that this time the report is to be viewed by professionals! During my first year in NUS, the closest ‘reports’ that I ever got to writing was java programs for one of my core modules.

Effective communication is very important in a research group as it allows for better understanding and bonding among the members. One of my group members is from Myanmar, and initially I was afraid that the language barrier might be a hindrance in our discussions. Amazingly, I was wrong. Sammy could converse well in English and we were able to share many discussions without a hitch. An interesting fact that Eileen and I found out nearing the end of our project was that Sammy was actually more proficient in Chinese! It was pretty hilarious as we were rather shocked to hear him converse in Mandarin during our last meeting, as all along we thought that he could only speak in English! As such, it seems that bonding in a team is very important as it helps us to work more effectively together.


Of the three of us, I would say that Sammy is the drive behind our team as he is the one who will keep us to our deadlines. Without him to push us, we might probably not be as efficient. As our schedules were quite packed, we had most of our meetings online, and luckily we had Sammy to push us and remind us of our deadlines, so that everything can go according to plan smoothly.


I have also picked up new skills during the course of this project. One thing that I have gained was using Microsoft Excel to construct graphs. I never knew that excel was able to construct graphs as I never had the experience in administrative work before. I also learnt to gather resources from the internet and related books.


All in all, it has been quite a positive experience in doing this research report with my team members. There were times when we had fun with endless laughter and times when we had to sit down and do our work seriously. This is indeed one of the projects that I have enjoyed participating in, despite the fact that the time span was pretty short and we had to rush everything out within a short timeframe. Undoubtedly, I have learnt a lot from this experience, and I will certainly miss the times Eileen, Sammy and I shared during the project. They are the best team members I can ever ask for!

*edited on 12th Oct

12 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank you, Xiuwen, for this detailed reflection of your work through the research process. I'm glad you found the learning both useful and manageable. I'm especially happy that you and your group could work so well together. It was interesting to hear how your group effort helped you learn so much more about your group mates!

Now I look forward to reading your report!

Eileen said...

Dear Xiu Wen,

Finally I have the chance to work with you in a project though we have been classmates for years. Glad that this time round we have Sammy as our teammate who constantly remind us the deadlines and push us to complete the project earlier so we can have more time for our own tests.

I am really thankful to have you guys as my project teammates, it has been a great experience!

Xiuwen said...

Dear Brad,

Despite the tight timeframe and packed schedule, I've have enjoyed myself alot by participating in the project and I've also learnt alot of new skills that will hopefully stay with me till I enter the workforce!

Indeed, it was an enriching experience. =)

Xiuwen said...

Dear Eileen,

Amazingly, this was the first time I've been in the same project group as you!

Well, for one, it was definitely a great experience and enjoyable one indeed to have worked with you. And yes, it was lucky that we have Sammy as our time keeper to remind us of our deadlines to keep us on track. (Thanks Sammy!=))

As I've mentioned in my post, I'm thankful and grateful to have you and Sammy in my team.

Sammy said...

Thanks Xiuwen for the "driving force" again. Haha, I have a experience working with you also. You have a very good outgoing personality, I would say that you are the main person that bonding the group. And thanks for all the laughs.
Let us strike through the fianl oral presentation.

The fact is that I actually spoke
Chinese more often than Myanmar when I was in Myanmar. Thats why. :>

Hui Xuan said...

Hi Xiu Wen,

I agree that bonding is important in a group. It really makes project meetings more fun and enjoyable. (:

joyce said...

Dear Xiu Wen,

I realise all of us had a common problem of a short time frame to complete our report. Heehee..

It's great to know that you and your group members worked well to overcome the problems the group encountered. I agree that understanding and bonding is important among all members. If not, it can easily lead to misunderstanding and conflict because one particular member is being left out.

Good luck for your oral presentation for now!

Angeline said...

Hi Xiuwen!

Drama queen, you must have brought some fun and laughter to your team because of your dramatic actions right? Hee. It's good that you had fun while doing your work! I always believe that having a good spirit can boost the spirit of the project and make it seem even better! :)

Good luck for the upcoming oral presentation! More team work!!! :)

Xiuwen said...

Dear Sammy,

Thanks for being the one who constantly reminds us our deadlines. I guess there will be a time and progress tracker in every team, and you are the one in our team! Thanks for all the hard work. All the best for our upcoming presentation!

No wonder you can converse better in chinese! It is really interesting to learn that you can speak so fluently in chinese! =)

Xiuwen said...

Dear Hui Xuan!

Yeap, it is always true that in order for a team or project group to perform well, there must be sufficient bonding so that one can connect with one another better and hence enhance communication!

This is in fact more evident in team sports as team spirit is the most important factor that pushes the team to win! Similarly, it applies to our situation as well because without sufficient communication, the team will not be able to proceed and progress.

Therefore, bonding is definitely one of the important factors which is essential for a team to make progress! And indeed, it also make the meeting more enjoyable and fun! =)

Xiuwen said...

Dear Joyce!

Indeed, the short time frame was definitely the factor that had affect all, if not, most of the groups! However so, I feel that it had instead prepared us for the workforce as we were trained to churn out a piece of work under such a short time span! Kudos for all of us! =)

Understanding one another is definitely another important factor in a team. Without sufficient understanding, there mght be some conflicts that would lead to unwanted misunderstanding which would further obstruct the team's progress. Therefore, being able to understand one another fully is definitely a plus factor that will propel the team forward!

I guess most of us had a wonderful and enriching experience. All the best for your oral presentation!=)

Xiuwen said...

Dear Angeline!

I guess it was my dramatic actions that have brought laughter to the group! Well, for one, I would say I enjoy bringing joy and laughter to my group as I believe that it will cheer my team members up and thus, make the whole experience an enjoyable one! And I'm sure you are also the one that brought joy and laughter and added spice to your group as well! Keep the teamwork up!

All the best for your up coming oral presentation! =)