Saturday, September 27, 2008

Evaluating Intercultural Behaviour







Taken from:http://extend.schoolwires.com/clipartgallery/images/8020735.jpg

One day, my mother’s friend had decided to bring her family here to spend their summer vacation. She felt that it was important to let her daughter learn about the different races and cultures of Singapore because she had migrated to Holland when her daughter was just a year old. Hence, she has absolutely no idea about the different cultures in Singapore.


My mother told me to bring her friend’s daughter, Kate, around while the adults gather for a high school reunion. Nonetheless, I agreed as I was rather interested in being able to show Kate around Singapore. Some well known places included Chinatown, Little India, Geylang Serai et cetera. I was very excited as I can finally get to share my experiences of having lived in Singapore ever since I was born.

As she will be staying in Singapore for only a day, I had to finish touring the whole island with her and there was so much for her to see and experience! Initially, I could see that she felt quite out of place as there were many things that she was seeing for the first time. Take for example; tasting the different Indian and Malay Cuisine was a whole new experience for her and the after-taste was a little too much for her. Nonetheless, she tried them even though they were not to her liking. I also brought her to the different temples in Singapore. The smell of the joss sticks in temples was also too much for her. However so, she managed to overcome it and had commented on the excellent workmanship of the temples.



Taken from: http://www.shunya.net/Pictures/Singapore/LittleIndiaTemple.jpg



It seems to me that intercultural communication occurs everywhere and anywhere, especially so in countries which have different cultural groups. One interesting fact is that if we were to live in that particular country, there is definitely much for us to learn about the other cultures. I believe that it is always possible to adapt to new cultures if there was sufficient time given, it is the mindset that needs to be changed to accept a culture different from ours. It might be difficult initially but it is definitely possible. In order for one to communicate effectively with another of a different cultural background, it would be beneficial to learn more about their culture first. Take the first step!

7 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Xiu Wen, for this post. I assume your mother's friend's daughter was of Chinese background. Did she have any affinity in particular for Chinese food, or for other aspects of Singaporean Chinese culture?

Xiuwen said...

Dear Brad,

Yeap you are right! My mother's friend's daughter was of Chinese background! =) Well, I guess she is interested in knowing about her heritage and roots. However, she told me that back in Holland she was not given much chances to get in touch with any unique Singapore Chinese culture. However, from time to time, her mother does cook some chinese food for her. Hence, I guess the part about using a chopsticks is easy for her.

Despite being about to taste Chinese food, she was not able to get in touch with the other aspects of Sinaporean Chinese culture. Take for example, the 7th lunar month "Ghost Festival" and chinese opera that takes place outside the temples during festivals. For one, the competitiveness that kids in Singaporean schools face was a little overwhelming for her. In fact, she told me that the education system over there is much simpler and the workload is also lighter as compared to Singapore.

Well, I guess different countries have their different cultures. It takes an open-minded person to accept it before being able to adapt to it. I guess I am used to the Singaporean culture. However, I am still interested in travelling around the world to visit the different countries and their unique cultures! =)

Eileen said...

Hi Xiu Wen,

I guessed your mother's friend's daughter is quite tolerant despite not being able to accept the differences in cultures, at least she never made any negative comment on our food or culture.

When we go overseas, often we would like to have a taste of what other cultures are like in their country, whether or not we can accept their culture is a different thing altogether, because it is the experience of other culture that is worthwhile. I guess that was probably her attitude as well.

In that case, I would say that she's in fact being quite sensitive to intercultural relations. So next time when she describe how is Singapore like to her friends in Holland, she would have lots to say about our culture(be it good or bad). =)

Anonymous said...

Yo Xiuwen!


I just had a similar experience of bringing someone out to get in touch with the Singapore culture! My cousins came to Singapore for a visit not long ago. They were here during their summer holidays from Los Angeles. It was quite a hassle to bring them out, because they are still quite young, and young kids tend to be more honest and direct in expressing their feelings. A lot of times, they would be asking, "Why is it like this in Singapore? Why do people talk like that? We don't do that back in LA. I don't want to eat THAT etc etc". I had a hard time explaining, and trying to make them accept that some things are indeed different between LA and Singapore.

When we are experiencing a whole new culture in another country, it's important that we keep an open mind and open heart. In this way, it makes it possible and easier for us to embrace and accept the culture. It's heartening to see your friend Kate being so open to accepting something that is so unfamiliar and perhaps, strange. =)

Hui Xuan said...

Hi Xiuwen,

Your post reminds me of PHD students I know in the lab I was attach to during my holidays. In my lab, all the PHD students there were from other countries, and there were only 2 students (including me) that is Singaporean. I realise that they were all very interested in the different cultures in Singapore. They enjoy asking me questions regarding the different cultures in Singapore. There are also very open-minded towards the culture and the different food found in Singapore. (:

Xiuwen said...

Dear Eileen!

I would say that she is very tolerant and sensitve to our culture, thus in that sense, it is a good thing! Probably having lived in Holland for a long time, she understands how it feels to be a foreigner living in a country with about 80% of them who are whites. Therefore, it was also easier for her to relate back to her roots over here in Singapore when she came back for a visit.

Similarly, we will also have to have the same level of tolerance when we are travelling overseas. In fact, I find it interesting to learn more about the other countries' uniqueness and differences in cultures!

Undoubtedly, some of the cultures might be difficult for us to adapt be it the type of food that they eat et cetera, we must still have a high level of tolerance! =)

Xiuwen said...

Dear Xinyi!

I feel that having an open heart and mindset is definitely essential when one is touring and exploring a foreign country. We should not make comparisons as every country is different and unique by herself!

It is also heartwarming to see you bringing your young little cousins around and introducing Singapore to them. I feel that probably they are still young, thus, explaining for their outright opinions on things that they feel foreign about. And it is also this straighforwardness Well, I guess the next time when they come to Singapore which might be a few years later, they would appreciate the unique culture that we have here in Sinagpore better. =)