Friday, August 29, 2008

Resolving interpersonal conflict


Taken from: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1/jlheal/conflictfinal.jpg

Most commonly, interpersonal conflicts arise due to lack of “proper” communication like face-to-face interaction or talking on the phone. It is always easy to create conflicts as compared to solving them. Throughout the years of my earlier education, I am constantly being put on a task of holding responsibilities. It is through these responsibilities that I need to build interpersonal skills between my group members and me. Hence, it seems that effective communication is thus essential. Problems of miscommunication (or perhaps no communication) will give rise to undesirable conflicts. Having conflicts is the last thing a team would want in their group as it not only hinders progress but also turns the relationship sour between one another!

There are times when you felt lost in your world and that you have absolutely no idea what to do or what you are doing at all. It takes a lot of courage for one to overcome whatever obstacles that were presented to you, hence, it is important for one to be optimistic and look at it as a challenge rather that a problem to yourself. There are precious lessons learned that form your journey in life. The whole process from learning how to handle them to resolving them will be a tough but experiential one. It is always easy for one to act as if nothing had happened and slowly ‘forget’ the conflict such that it had never existed.

It first started when I was given an important responsibility in my secondary school CCA (co-curriculum activities). I was shocked when the result was announced as I had never expected or rather see myself taking on that leadership role. One particular reason was that I had always thought that my best friend who was in the same CCA as me would be given the post. Although she seemed fine after the result was announced, I could tell how much she wanted the post as she had always been looking forward to the AGM. Furthermore, those in my CCA had voted and supported her in taking on that leadership role.

Right after the announcement, my senior told that it was because A’s overly ambitious personality was not suitable for that important role and that I was a better choice as compared to her. Our styles of management are completely different and all of them felt that I would bring the CCA to better endeavors. They had also told me that it was true that she was the top choice from the votes casted. However ultimately, they felt that my character was more apt in taking the leading role. In fact, they noticed that I had better rapport with the rest of the members. I tried to convince them that even so, I was not prepared and did not have the confidence to take on that role, but they keep encouraging me to try out and have faith in myself. I could not reject or disagree as I don’t want them to be disappointed. So reluctantly, I accepted my post.

While going home that day, I tried to lighten the atmosphere by cracking jokes. However, no matter what I said the atmosphere seemed even tenser and I was feeling ever more uncomfortable. I was kind of reproaching myself and felt as if I had betrayed my friend’s trust. I had always joked that what revolutionary changes she would take to change our current system of management as she had always felt that our CCA were lacking in some areas and she was sure that she could change that! She was always the one with ambitious ideas unlike me who always likes to fool around. I always felt that building bonds with each and every one of the members is more important, that was why I always like to hang out with them, especially the seniors. But little did I know that she took all those actions to heart.

“I’ve always known why you liked hanging out with the seniors after CCA. This is how you worked your way to the top!”

I could not believe that words came from the friend who had been with me ever since secondary one. We were like inseparable twins. I had always known she liked competitions and she thought that competitions are essential for improving oneself in terms of capability and experience. I was the laid- back one who felt that competitions harm relationships. Undeniably, competitions do spur you on to greater heights. Yet, being overly competitive will strain your relationship with those around you.

After that day, our relationship was never the same as before. To make things worse, I had a hectic schedule to follow, so our friendship has since then drifted apart. Although she had not mentioned anything since that day, I felt that our relationship will never be the same again. We eventually stopped hanging out or talk to each other.

It has been years since that incident. I still think about it now and then when I am alone. Could I have handled the situation better? Perhaps I could have sat down and have a long chat with her to solve that existing conflict. However, having known her for years, I knew that she would find excuses for being busy and not listening to me. With that in mind, I did not bother to resolve the obvious problem between us. What would happen if I had not assumed that to be the case? What could I have done to get her back?

Perhaps it was impossible to return things the way they were before. One will just have to live with the facts and reality of life. This is just how life is. Interpersonal relationships are that fragile. Obstacles are presented to you for a reason. One should learn from such obstacles and not make the same mistakes again.


Taken from: http://www.winwinconflictsolutions.com/2bc6ef130.jpg



Sometimes, the idea of calling her came to my mind. I would pick up the phone and put down the phone instantaneously. I am afraid of saying the wrong things to her again. Thus, I keep putting off the idea thinking that I was too busy with my work to give her a call. I keep telling myself that I will call one day.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That is why it is called the present. =)


*Added pictures on 9th Sept

9 comments:

xin yi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey :)

It must have hurt a great deal when your friend made that comment! Anyway, there is so little you could do then, because anything you say would only sound hypocritical to her. She's already very sour about not getting the post, so saying more things would only "add oil to fire". Or so I think.

But hey! It certainly wasn't your fault. Perhaps now she would be feeling rather foolish for behaving that way, and losing a friend in the process. You never know, she might want to apologise to you but lacks the courage to do so. So don't blame yourself!

Hmmm.. If I were in your shoes, knowing my character, I would just ignore her, because she is simply being unreasonable. I doubt I would be the one stepping forward to save the friendship. This is of course a very bad example. My situation is somehow similar to yours. Throughout these two years, I've been wanting to contact my friend whom I've stopped talking to. (Due to some hiccups in our relationship) But I always feel that if my friend were to initiate and talk to me again, I would be willing to forget about everything and be friends again. Being angry and sour over what happened is definitely not a solution. Having regrets is not fun either. =S

Pei Rong said...

Dear Xiu Wen,
I don't know how I would feel if i heard those words. I would probably be too shocked to react. the "best" thing was, those words came from your best friend. Poor you.
However, there are two sides to a coin. maybe she is feeling very guilty for saying those words and you know, once you did something, you can't take it back. She might be feeling regretful but can't find the right words to tell you. Come to think of it, its quite hard for her to congratulate you sincerely when in actual fact, she had always thought that she was going to get that position.
Any way, i think you were already very thoughtful in trying not to mention the position thingy infront of her. you even tried to cheer her up with jokes! I guess what you did was good enough as i feel that your friend had to learn how to cope with this kind of situation. there is bound to be failure some time in your life, right?

Eileen said...

Hey Xiu Wen,

Your situation reminded me of something similar that happened years ago, but I couldn't remember what exactly happened or what had I done wrongly or said wrongly to anger my friend and she stopped talking to me for a few weeks while we saw each other and sat next to each other everyday in class. At that time I didnt know what to do but I didnt want to admit it was my fault because I thought she was very petty and narrow-minded.
But I eventually started to talk to her again but I never mentioned a single bit about why we were not talking all these while. Both of us wanted to forget this cold war, so we acted like nothing had happened before.
And now we can still joke around and hang out together like best friends before the cold war. One of the reasons is that my friend is a bubbly and cheerful girl and you just cant make yourself be angry at her for a long time. And we both don't want to end our friendship with a small argument like that.
I think it depends on situation before we can tell which way to approach is the best. Like Xinyi's case, I think it's better to iron out things when the blow is over, I think you should have tried to talk to her again when she calmed herself down. But now that you have let this problem hanging for so long, there is really nothing much that you can do on your part, after all she was the one who cant accept the fact.

joyce said...

Dear Xiuwen,

I feel that you could have made it known that her words hurt you. Maybe she said those words on the spur of the moment as she might have been utterly disappointed with the way things turned out. She might be sorry for making that remark if she truly cared about the friendship with you. Plus, you really don't have to feel guilty at all as you did not do anything against your conscience to get that leadership position. Your friend might just be feeling sore about it and I agree with what Eileen said about trying to talk to her again after she had calmed down. If she value you as a friend, she will listen to you! :)
I think that you should just go for it and give her a call soon! Just to get it off your chest.

Sammy said...

Hi,
I have the same opinion with them, she might feel sorry for saying those words to you. By saying that, she should have take the initiative to resolve it also. In my opinion, you could drop her an email and tell her how you were/are feeling, she would possibly have a lot to tell you about her feeling also.

Xiuwen said...

Hey people!

Thanks for your honest and valuable responses. Your comments have indeed gave me some insights on how I could have handled the situation better and perhaps in a timely fashion. In this case, I do agree that time do play a part. This is because if the matter have been a long time ago, it might be hard for us to mend the holes of that broken friendship.

Probably, at that time, I could have been even more understanding and less sensitive. Then, our relationship could have maintained status quo. However, if we did maintained 'hush-hush' about the whole incident, I feel that there will always be a prick in our hearts. Hence, it would be better if we could have that chance to talk it out.

Friendships that can withstand such obstacles are valuable. We should not take our friends as granted for we might regret after we have lost them.

Yet, with that being said, it might still take come time for me to gather sufficient courage to pick up the phone to call her. Undoubtedly, i could drop her an email to ask about her well-being as Sammy had suggested. However, she might have changed her email without informing me. This I will not know until I give it a try! =)

Brad Blackstone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks, Xiu Wen, for a very detailed descritpion. It's very interesting, and you have inspired lots of commentary from classmates. My only criticism is that it may be too far over the 300 word limit.

A couple language items: "One particular reason was that I had always thought that my best friend who was in the same CCA as me will(WOULD) be given the post."

"...my senior told that it was because A’s overly ambitious personality is(WAS) not suitable for that important role and that I was a better choice as compared to her."

Be careful about reporting speech in the past with present tense verbs.